Relections On A Studded Belt


My Mother is in town this week. She brings one or two things normally every time she comes to visit me, stuff she's purged from her household. In fact sometimes my boyfriend and I joke that our house is where my Mom's stuff goes to die. This trip I got the chair that I used in high school at my computer desk. I always liked the shape but didn't think too much of it besides that, you know because I was worried about scoring Taking Back Sunday tickets or something. Now that I'm older, and some would argue wiser, I realize that this chair is pretty awesome. So awesome in fact that it's likely the Arne Jacobson 3117 chair. They were, and still are, manufactured by the Fritz Hansen company of Denmark. Note the FH emblem, and made in Denmark mark.

Needless to stay I was more than a bit stoked. Not only is it a piece of design history, these chairs have a hefty pricetag, ranging from the 1,500 to 2,000 dollars USD. So it's pretty safe to say I would never own this had I to buy it myself.

But I'm still kicking myself, because I'm sure it's not worth that much.

Here enters the studded belt I wore through most of my high school experience. Much like many teenagers of the early 2000's I was enamored with studded belts, hoodies, cut off jeans, eyeliner, and some questionable music tastes. I am paying the price for that now.

Check out the huge chips near the base of the seat. My modern furniture heart is breaking. If I could go back in time and set every one of those belts on fire I would.
 All the while screaming to my past self,


That aside, it's still a great chair.
 Does anyone know if I should even attempt to fix the chip? I'm worried that will completely kill any value it might have left. I'm not really planning on selling it though, so I'm tempted to leave it as is. 

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

One Response to Relections On A Studded Belt

  1. Whenever they have furniture of note on Antiques Roadshow, the professionals always either advise the participant to NOT clean/repair the item themselves (but rather have a professional restore it) OR admonish them for cleaning/restoring it themselves as doing so devalues the item. Wear and tear is expected on items such as this that experience daily use.

    ReplyDelete