Thai Pumpkin Soup

We had two pie pumpkins our Green Bean Delivery produce box. It's kind of like a CSA box. I don't think I've done much with a whole pumpkin besides carve them. Well to be quite honest, I've smashed my fair share as well. 
I thought I would try to whip up a tasty soup to go along with this wonderful crisp weather the Midwest seems to be experiencing! 


So first things first, we need to deal with this pumpkin. I guess it's size was around a pie pumpkin? Bigger than a softball, but smaller than a basket ball. I Scooped, and saved, the seeds. Then I peeled and cubed the remaining flesh.

I then microwaved it for about 15 minutes just to cut down on the cooking time. I'm sure you could roast it and have it turn out just as tasty, if not more. But to be real, I don't see myself getting home from work and roasting a pumpkin for a few hours. I'm more of an instant satisfaction kind of girl. 

Once you've completed nuking your pumpkin, put it in a large stock put with water or broth of your choosing. I used water and a generous pour of my favorite sweet cream cooking sherry. You're going to want to use enough liquid to cover the pumpkin, a lot of it is going to evaporate. 

Set your pot to boil. 

Keep an eye on it and stir to avoid burning. We want to get the pumpkin at a point where you can mash it easily. It took mine about 20-30 minutes. Once it's soft, remove it from the burner. You're going to want to mash it with a potato masher, stick blender, or like me a cocktail muddler. What can I say, I'm an adult. 

Make sure it's pretty thoroughly mashed, Don't leave any big chunks of pumpkin behind. 


My other ingredients! I used some minced roasted garlic in olive oil, roasted red chili paste, green curry paste, coconut milk, turmeric, and salt and pepper. I used about 1 tablespoon of the first three ingredients  The coconut milk was an entire 14 ounce can, and the turmeric was about a teaspoon. 
With a soup like this you don't have to be super precise in your measurements, just make sure you are tasting as you season. I just threw everything in and put the pot back on the burner, over medium, to heat it up until it was hot. It it's too thick, you can always throw some milk, soy or otherwise in.

Garnish with a bit of sour cream, you could use soy based sour cream if you'd like to keep it vegan, and the pumpkins seeds I roasted while this cooked. If I had any cilantro I probably would have chopped some up and thrown it on top as well. 

We ate this with some hearty whole wheat toast. It's the kind of soup that really sticks to the ribs, and you don't need much before you start to feel full. It has just the right amount of spice to warm you up. 

Overall I think this might be a new fall favorite recipe of mine. 
Do you have any recipe or treat that just screams fall? 

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

3 Responses to Thai Pumpkin Soup

  1. this looks so unbelievably delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I have never made a soup from a real pumpkin before; I'm definitely going to try, now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! I was really intimidated, but it's easy peasy.

      Delete